There are situations in which test scripts will hang and time out on Windows while executing. Most of this cases involve the lack of drawing/painting the application on the „screen“.
The underlying problem is that if the GUI of the application cannot be rendered, its objects do not have coordinates on the screen and testing software, like Squish, cannot find out where to perform a mouse click.
„The AUT did not respond to network communication“ would be one indication of a test script execution problem in the error log.
With meeting all the requirements below chances are low to none existent that test scripts will hang and time out:
- Only have one logged in user on Windows
- Run test scripts as the currently logged in user on Windows
- squishserver should not run as a Windows service and not being started from a Windows service
- The screen saver is switched off
- The Desktop is not locked
- Power safe mode is disabled
- No logins via Remote Desktop (RDP) are made
Suggested Windows Setups
Read here our suggestions to avoid several problems when setting up a Windows computer for executing test scripts with Squish.